History of Ardrahan National School
Labane National School was built by Canon John Considine in 1934. There were three teachers at that time, Mrs Fahy, Mr Friel and Mr O’Meara.
There were no great changes to the school until part of the playground was lost through the development of the Labane bypass.
In the 1980s, the school was re-roofed, new toilets were built and central heating was installed. Parochial land was given to the school to develop the fantastic playing area we have today.
In 2008, with the enrolments increasing and with Fr Richie Higgins as Chairperson of the board, our school opened its new extension with 4 new classrooms, a library, a multi-purpose hall, Special Education rooms, staff room and an office.
Due to increasing numbers, in 2022, a further extension comprising a new classroom and an SET room was added.
The school has had many teachers through the ages. The most long standing principal in the school’s history was Mr. Michael Burke who was principal from 1964 until his retirement in 2006. Subsequently, Ms Bernadette Moylan became principal in 2006 until her untimely death in 2016.
Currently we have a staff of 8 teachers with 146 pupils with Fidelma Hughes as principal.